Dynamic Spectrum Access and Cohabitability AnalysisSeptember 16, 2021
Counter UASSeptember 16, 2021
Managing warehouses using 5G and IoT technologies can profoundly change logistics management. The 5G enabled smart warehouse enhances the efficiency of operations through integrated IoT sensor networks for tracking and collecting relevant information from assets and ensuring rapid dissemination of information throughout the warehouse management processes. To realize the efficiency of the warehouse operations in a 5G-IoT environment, the 5G network must have the following properties:
- Track and trace - Supply chains that require a high degree of synchronization will see significant improvements with 5G. Eliminating significant manual controls around the sequencing of goods to reach the assembly line can offer increases in resiliency.
- Product monitoring - 5G enabled sensors will allow for tracking smaller items than what can be economically monitored with current technology.
- Connecting indoor/outdoor Operations – 5G networks can blend indoor and outdoor operations and networks. 5G can bridge mobile communications like LTM or 4G for outdoors with indoor technology like WiFi. This can be especially relevant for monitoring an outbound order that includes goods in-transit that have not yet been received at the warehouse.
- Real-time data - 5G's reduced latency means there's little lag time between when a sensor detects an event and when it's recognized by the system. This will enable vehicle-to-vehicle communication for automated trucks and warehouse robots. Processing power will be able to move closer to the work, making sensors and mobile devices more capable.
The goal of the proposed effort is to develop 5G communication architecture for smart warehouses to enable resilience, low-latency, and energy-efficiency at scale.
- Resilience – In an indoor warehouse environment, interference, jamming, blockage, and mobility issues are challenging. The 5G network must contend with these impairments.
- Low-Latency – In a warehouse environment, the tracking of assets needs to take place in a timely fashion. The 5G network needs the capability of meeting this timeliness constraint to ensure guarantees of quality- of-service for smart warehouse applications.
- Energy–Efficiency – A long battery life is essential for supporting inventory control without frequent replacement of batteries, which may or may not be available during extraordinary times. We will able to quantify increases in warehouse process efficiencies and provide a detailed technology transition plan after evaluation of the Warehouse 5G testbed design and a thorough understanding of the selected applications.